Monday, April 29, 2013

Back on the road!

A week already passed after my first short bike trip to Salakas, so it was time for me to hit the road again! We found out about a bike tour organized for the weekend in a new bicycle path in Neris Regional Park, where Lenka and Adrian, other two volunteers from Slovakia and Spain, work. It was the best opportunity for us to go visit them and Vilnius, where they live.
So we left on Saturday and met them. I also caught the chance to bring my bike to a repair shop, as it still needed some tuning up and check up after the flight. I went to the bike shop who co-organized the bike tour event together with the park, where a very competent mechanic works: he fixed my gear in no time, which now works even smoother than before leaving! A German guy who moved to Lithuania 16 years ago also worked there; he told me about a small group of people who were going to cycle all the way from Vilnius to the starting point of the tour, which was on Sunday afternoon, passing through forests and other beautiful sights. I just couldn't miss something like that!
After leaving the repair shop, I went around Vilnius with Blagovesta and Lenka. I tried to climb the fort hill near the Cathedral square, but by the top the slope was just too much and I had to get off the bike and carry it by hand... but that was worth it: there is some very nice sight from up there!


In the evening we enjoyed another walk around, a delicious dinner at an Indian vegetarian restaurant and some rest at Cafè Inn, but we didn't stay around till late because we had to wake up early next day.
So, in the morning, Blagovesta, Lenka and Adrian left to the park by car, while I joined the cycling group. According to the weather and forecasts, I thought I wouldn't have find anybody at the meeting point, but luckily there were some other crazy people like me ready for the trip: three guys and two girls.
The trip was really intense for me, after a whole winter without cycling, my legs weren't ready for something like that yet, but somehow I managed to keep up with their pace: they were all quite strong experienced bikers!


The trip was just around 50 km, but, after like 20 of them on an easy asphalt road, we went deep through the forest and faced gravel, mud, dirt, stones and quite a number of very intense uphills. Sometimes we just had to carry our bikes by foot because of too many obstacles on the slopes and then steps, puddles, and a barely standing bridge we had to pass one by one!


We took four hours and arrived just on time and quite tired to the campsite where bike tour would start. Unfortunately we didn't pass by Dūkštos, where is the Regional Park Tourist Center which was having a First Flowers Blossoming Festival in the morning, with oak planting and other activities, so I missed that, but it was worth it anyway. Blagovesta, Lenka and Adrian were there and then reached and joined us, together with many other people ready for the tour.


Luckily, aside from a short shower in the morning, it didn't rain anymore, and it wasn't too much cold. We had a fast lunch, and we were ready to go again. After the previous trip, the bicycle path was a piece of cake for me. It was relaxing just taking it easy and going along the other people, but maybe a bit boring, until when, by the end, I and some other guys from the first trip started pushing very hard in order to catch a train to Vilnius on time. In the last 10 km we completely depleted our energy but, even if I wasn't feeling my legs anymore, we managed to get to the train station just on time, after a last uphill that gave us the final blow! Once in Vilnius I had enough time before catching the train to Ignalina to go to a car wash and get my bike clean. Boy if it was dirty, I couldn't have bring it home like that!
It was very nice to see Lenka and Adrian again, and to meet other fellow bikers like me, hopefully we will organize some other trip together!

No comments:

Post a Comment